I turned thirty-four! I swear I almost typed thirty-three just now and sometimes when asked my age I still automatically say thirty-two and if we're being honest, I often feel like I'm actually only twenty-six and time has played some kind of trick on me. I had an extra long day of celebration since it started twelve hours ahead of EST and continued until I feel asleep at three am in Singapore. I had to say goodbye to Bali on my birthday which was quite sad - but no tears!
I am not one for birthday celebrations but was sitting in the dining room at breakfast when I heard the staff come out singing Happy Birthday and carrying a cake. I hadn't mentioned my date of birth to anyone, hoping to keep it a silent secret, so I was quite relieved when the parade passed by me and went to a man sitting at the other table. Picking up my newspaper and burying my face back into my pancakes, I thought I'd dodged a bullet of embarrassment. Until I heard them singing once again and out they walked, making their way to my table with an amazing chocolate cake topped with a macaron and a candle.
If you've ever met the Balinese you know what a cheerful, happy people they are and now just imagine a group of ten of these smiling faces in front of you singing Happy Birthday in their very best English, then waiting as you blow out the candle and make a wish. I was so overwhelmed with good emotions that I nearly cried there in the middle of the crowded dining room, but kept it together for the sake of these kind Balinese people whom I sure would have no earthly idea what to do with a girl sobbing into her beautiful cake. Also the buttercream frosting on the cake? To die for.
When I used to be a much, much better blogger I did posts about my birthdays including a list of goals for the year. I didn't do one last year, but want to come up with a list of thirty-four things for this year. I'm still thinking about what will go on the list but probably really adult-ish things like "buy a vacuum." Whee, thirty-four is so going to be my most exciting year EVER!
Anyway, because I love lists and documenting ALL THE THINGS here is a list of magical numbers from the past year:
- one apartment lease plus one storage locker lease
- 11,863 Kelly Purkey brand stamp sets sold (in addition to the Clearly Kelly brand) which completely astounds me!
- one case of horrible food poisoning in Cambodia which is a funny yet tragic travel tale
- five trips back to New York City and endless moments of missing being there
- one Taylor Swift concert and two hundred listens to 1989
- forty-two stamp sets designed for Hero Arts including eight to be released in April
- three trips to Paris (le sigh)
- one crop of new friends made
- about twenty-four hours with my three best friends which is nowhere near enough
- twelve countries visited, seven of them being ones I'd never been to before
- about eight trips to the Olive Garden because it's my favorite guilty pleasure
- two days of bliss in Palm Springs with my bestie Sarah
- two trips to Hawaii with two fun days of classes with Eri at Sakuralala
- probably about twenty donuts eaten and two hundred cups of coffee
- a handful of bad choices made
- a handful + a half of good choices made
- one shelf full of new books purchased, especially in thanks to living close to Powell's
- a single solitary bad first date
- nearly one completed Project Life album
- ten Sunday brunches at Clyde Common which is my favorite ritual
- 106 blog posts written which is definitely my lowest year total ever
- almost 170,000 miles flown (and boy are my arms tired!)
- thirty-four videos posted on my YouTube channel which I've sadly neglected lately
- many, many hours spent with people I love yet not nearly enough
And that's it, it's a new year. I'm thirty-four. Here we go.
Want a laugh? My birthday ramblings at Twenty-Seven, Twenty-Eight, Twenty-Nine, Thirty, Thirty-One, Thirty-Two, and Thirty-Three. I actually started blogging in 2005 but purged/deleted the posts pre-2007 so those birthdays are lost in the void.